During the winter months, often you may need to take some more care over your skin. The cold weather can be very drying and combined with the constant heat of radiators, it can get quite irritated. My skin is very sensitive at the moment which narrows down the products that I can use, but I have found that all the products in this post have really helped my skin whether that is through soothing, rehydrating or energising. All of the products are cruelty free (although some only say this on the brand’s website and are not certified by the Leaping Bunny). I have tried to give accurate information on whether they are vegetarian/vegan and the recyclability of the packaging too.
These are my five current favourites:
I love rose-scented products and combined with lavender the gentle scent of this cleanser is very calming. It is soothing on the skin and almost feels like a moisturiser as well as a cleanser. It is recommended to use a pure cotton cloth but I just use a warm damp flannel which really helps to exfoliate the skin. After only having this product a few weeks it is firmly part of my skincare routine and I use it morning and night. There are also the Original and limited edition Bergamot & Juniper scents.
- Suitable for all skin types
- Vegetarian (beeswax and possibly other animal derivatives)
- Mostly recyclable – check your local recycling guidelines
A light, mattifying moisturiser. I originally got the Superfruits moisturiser from Boots a couple of years ago and found that it really helped my skin but Boots doesn’t seem to stock these products anymore. I got the Hemp moisturiser as well as the Superfruits serum and Pore-fectly Clear face mask on their website which I all love. They are free from microbeads, parabens and other not-so-great things which is reassuring and this is one of the few moisturisers that doesn’t irritate my sensitive skin.
- Suitable for oily or spot-prone skin
- Vegan (although other ranges may be vegetarian)
- It does not say on the product or website that it is recyclable
This has to be my favourite Lush scent – the citrus fruit, seaweed and honey combination is very energising – it is good at waking me up in my morning shower. I am not so keen on the jelly formation, it starts to break to pieces after a while, but this is made up for with the amazing scent. If this was a shower gel formation then I don’t think I would be buying any other shower gels again! It is an efficient product and leaves your skin feeling really clean.
- Suitable for all skin types, but particularly helps with tiredness
- Vegetarian (honey extracts)
- Return five clean pots to Lush so they can be recycled and get a product free
I really like Molton Brown products, if they are good enough for the Queen then they are good enough for me. It is a light formation – not heavy or oily and sinks in well. The scent isn’t overpowering and is not floral, I would say the scent is more ‘masculine’ but this is annoyingly stereotypical. (Side note: my sister and I both agree that we prefer the Body Shop ‘Mens’ products to the ‘Womans’ ones – I don’t think brands should label their products this way.
- Suitable for all skin types
- As far as I can find out, Molton Brown has some vegan and vegetarian products although I do not know if they are all vegetarian
- Recyclable packaging
Using this body oil feels as if you have just walked out of a spa. The scent is lovely and fresh and it feels like an ‘experience’ rather than just putting another product on. It softens and revitalises your skin. I would say that ESPA products are something you just have to treat yourself with from time to time…
- Suitable for all skin types, particularly energises
- Vegetarian (they may use beeswax and other animal derivatives)
- Recyclable packaging (this is from their website as it is not labelled on the product)
What products are you currently loving?